My first "hang" I lasted 8 seconds. I did it two more times during that set and made it 4 seconds the second time, and no seconds the third. Seriously, by the third try, I couldn't even jump high enough and hold on strong enough to keep my head above the bar. It was quite entertaining.
We actually had an audience. There was a man working out in the gym while we were there. He was a very nice x-marine that actually gave us some tips on things to help us. (He was actually the one to suggest the bent-arm-hang as an option.) A couple of times that I looked over at him, he was trying REALLY hard not to laugh. I'm glad he was able to control himself, at least until he left the room.
The other exercises weren't too bad. I think the next worse one was the plank. I've done planks before, and knew they were hard, but I was "hoping" that the work we'd done up until this point would prepare us to do the plank exercise. That didn't seem like the case. We were supposed to hold the plank for 60-90 seconds. Honestly I think we made it about 15 seconds before our knees started to drop for assistance. That was kind of depressing.
Anyway, an hour and a half later, we left the gym, exhausted, sweaty (more than you can probably imagine), and super sore. All in all, a great workout, right?
Love the plank! Keep at it, it's one of those things that improves at lightening speed. You'll notice a difference in a few workouts. I have to do them since I can't do sit-ups with my torn abs. I do a lot of freaking planks when they're doing abs in bootcamp.
ReplyDelete