Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day of Reckoning

I got back form the tri a few hours ago. It was just as I feared. The upside is that I still had loads of fun while I added humiliation to my list of todays' accomplishments. First, the swim was moved farther away from transition because of debris being pushed onto the course from the river, making it so we would have to run for a bit on a dirt path to our bikes. Then they announced that the lake was a balmy 53°-55°. You can imagine how excited I was to put some of this well formed insulation to good use. I've been packing it on for months for just such an occasion. I got in the water with the olympic distance people so I could get used to the water and it's a dang good thing I did. It took me about 15 minutes to acclimate and get feeling back in my hands. My shoulder was hanging in there as I was headed for the first buoy but every time I looked up to spot, I swear it got farther away. I put my head down, gave myself a pep talk and kept going. The next time I looked up it wasn't any closer. I began making a mental list of tri gear to sell on e-bay, wondering how much I could sell my tri bike for etc. There was no way in hell I was ever making it to that stupid buoy. As it turned out, the buoy had broken loose from it's anchor and was drifting farther away. A boat eventually came by and informed us that we were now far off course. According to the race director, what started out as a 750, ended up being a 1500. -sigh- I wanted to cry. I tried to keep on truckin' and remind myself that it was all about fun today. By the time I got to the end of the swim, there were only 10 people or so left in the water. Pathetic! I did find out later that they had to pull 5 or 6 people from the cold water, so maybe I will get points for just staying in!

The ride was so hard with big hills and the heat of the day coming on. My shoulder was aching so I was glad I decided to race with my road bike instead of my tri, it would have been agony to sit in aero for that long.

By the time I got to the hilly trail run, I was spent. I expected as much since I hadn't been properly trained, so it wasn't really that disappointing. I was so relieved to finish! It was a really hard day for me and I'm glad I did it, I think. I'm still considering the e-bay option.It was a beautiful venue, even if it was hard, and it was good to see friends again. I will, however, make sure that I'm better trained before I get talked into this again!!

3 comments:

  1. That sucks! Actually, to be honest, I laughed pretty hard after reading about your swim. (Kale even got a good laugh out of it.) To think that you were feeling so slow that the buoy was getting further away instead of closer. I've been in that situation, when I swear, the markers were moving, or the end of the pool wasn't getting any closer. At least it really was moving out further, and you weren't swimming backwards! LOL. Sorry, but that really cracks me up. I'm sure only because it wasn't me.

    The first tri I did, the buoy did move, but it moved in. Instead of the 1/4 mile swim, it ended up being about 1/3 that far, and it only took about 9 minutes. I just thought I was SUPERWOMAN. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was actually not that far. :)

    I told you that you are my hero, and you've proved it again. To swim that far, in water that cold...plus finish out the tri without the training, you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you both are my heroines! I cannot even imagine doing a tri. I think that is an event I will put on my 'wouldn't it be awesome if I could do this someday' list. I wouldn't even know how to start training.

    Inspiring....that's what you are. If I had felt that cold water with my toe, I'd have turned and run! Keep digging deeper! You are superwoman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I wish I felt like super woman. You guys are great. I was sure that I'd shake the admiration after this report! You won't believe this, but I signed up for another one today. Man, I just don't learn. haha

    ReplyDelete