Saturday, October 10, 2009

I just might be the Greatest American Hero


Hi, it's me again! Had a great week of solid workouts, so I figured I'd try my hand at cycling South Fork Canyon. I'd done it many times before, but not on my new tri bike that has fewer gears. (ouch) I bought an 11/28 cassette that came close to my former granny gear, but it was still relatively far off. However, it wasn't until the last 50 ft of the climb that I remembered I hadn't put the 11/28 on my bike after my last race. It was sitting comfortably in a box at home. I never would have attempted this, had I remembered earlier. I was SO excited!!! I made it up the same climb the guys at the shop told me would be, "...insane to try on a tri bike!"

I actually got off my bike and did a happy dance, (after I got my HR down from 198 bpm of course) right there, all alone, standing on a random country road. Just me and the wild turkeys. I'm pretty sure they dug my dance. For the entire ride back down, I sang loudly "Believe it or not, IIIII'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so Free-ee-ee!" I don't know what made me think of this song, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that my i-pod ran out of juice on my way to the canyon, and likely the elevation gain contributed some. I passed a guy taking pictures of the scenery. He laughed, and yelled, "You go girl!" as I passed by. I think it's because he thinks I AM the Greatest American Hero. We'll see. Does anyone have a super suit I can borrow?

2 comments:

  1. Ok...describe a tri bike! It sounds great to be riding up mountains regardless of the kind of bike you ride. I do miss the hills...even though we have the leaf colors and rural country out here.

    ReplyDelete