Okay, so in the cycling world, sandbagging has a negative connotation, I'll admit. The act of competing in a lower class, so that you can win every race does seem like a bit of a cowardly act. However, in triathlon, it refers to those who downplay their workouts and sometimes, out-right deny they're even training to gain the upper hand come competition day. This, I like. I know, I know... Let me explain.I've heard that the other girls on my tri team have repeatedly referred to me as an average performer, even though only one of them has even worked out with me and none have seen my race results, only my sponsor (the owner of the shop). One even asked me, when talking of another girl, "Is she a really fast runner, or more like you?"
I can only guess they think this because I refer to the run as my weakness, and I don't talk specifics. It's getting a little tiresome. I have heard them arrange cycling hill climbs together and say, "Let us know when you've worked up to the climb, Jen, we'd love for you to join!" Ironically, it was one of my favorite climbs.
This used to bother me. Not anymore. They all want to do the Salem Tri together next May and my intention is to stomp them all. (Does that make me a bad person?) I'll be nice of course, I really do like the team. They're a great bunch of girls... but, girls who need to be beat. And so it has begun. Operation Sandbag. I need something to keep training interesting! I've signed up for an early season tri that no one wants to do, (it's too cold) so I can see where my progress lies before the race. Today, I did a trail run up the canyon and put strength training back into the routine. The run was beautiful! The fall colors are almost hypnotic. I love the canyon. When I am there my mind is clear. Focused. I feel the energy of the moment, the gift of life, and the possibility of all things. For me, as cheezy as it sounds, it is a return to center. I'm excited to start the process and see where this little bit of fun will lead. Oh, before I forget, I have a year and a half of tri training that I kept from when I had a trainer. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to pass it on! Also included is a hard core nutrition plan. Six weeks of daily, hour by hour meals, shopping lists and recipes. They're big files. Just let me know!
I really enjoyed reading your post. I know how you must be feeling, I've been where you're at. I got into triathlon about 3 years ago. At my first race I met this gal. It was also her first race and we began chatting. We discovered that we lived in the same town and agreed to start training together for future races. She beat me at that first tri. In my defense, I had a really bad race. It was a pool-swim and my lap counter didn't stop me when I'd completed the swim distance so I ended up swimming an extra 75 yards. Although, I still had a respectable time.
ReplyDeleteWe planned to compete in another tri the folowing month and we trained together. Since my swim time was so slow at the first tri due to the extra distance I swam (but she didn't know that) she figured I was a really slow swimmer. We went to the pool one morning and decided to time each other. She, thinking I was slower, insisted I go first. She was quite surprised when I finished several minutes faster than what she ended up doing. At the next tri, she still beat me, but not by much. She was (and still is) a much better cyclist than me.
Fastforward to the next summer. When she and I started training together our running was pretty equal. But over that year, I really improved and she stayed about the same. At the first tri of this year (pool swim again, so it was done in heats), after we both finished I asked her how she did. She was beaming and was quite please with her time. I congratulated her and she assumed she'd beat me again but didn't ask me for my result and I didn't offer it. During the awards ceremony, I placed 1st in my age division, and I'd beat her but not by a whole lot. After I got my ribbon she said to me, "Wow. I didn't think you were any competition for me." I just smiled but I was really irritated. I vowed to beat her by a long way the next month in the next race. And I did. I beat her by more than 4 minutes. Put her in her place.
Good luck with your training. I hope you show those other girls!
p.s. Sorry this is so long. Probably should have posted it on my own blog.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry. I screwed up on the post. I love your guy's posts. It makes me want to keep doing tris. Jen, I'd love to get your workout/meal plan. I'm really struggling with the meals right now. My self-control is not the best. Well, it's pretty much non-existent. Any help I can get would be great.
ReplyDeleteSure! Send me an e-mail address. The plan is pretty hardcore and was a little tough to get used to, (I even cried at one point because I was so frustrated, lol) but we still eat about the same way and it's made a big difference in our performance! Mine is, jen_vici@hotmail.com. Just send me all your info. Some of the food I had never heard of (quinoa, amaranth etc.) but we'll talk and I'll give you the lowdown on how to cook it. Mine was trial and error. Hence the tears. My body is much happier now. People have even asked me if I'm wearing contacts because my eye color is so much brighter. You're eating 6 meals a day, so hunger is not an issue. I had a hard time eating all the food the first week. There were so many veggies, I was too full to eat! You'll like it!
ReplyDeleteI need a meal like that, too. I love to eat and I can't imagine being that full so send it my way as well. tamisuisse@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteThanks.
Ok, I'm a dork. The file kept saying that it wasn't attached. I think I sent it to you three times. LOL
ReplyDeleteI am impressed, Jen. The sandbagging worked in marathon running, back when I did those in the 90's. I learned after the first one I ran that holding back along the way by letting others go by and not worrying about it while staying within myself to make sure that I had enough left to pass a lot of people the last mile or so is much more fun than BEING passed along the way.
ReplyDeleteOn the first one I was just trying to cross the finish line without throwing up. But marathon running only involves a few elite athletes, so it may not be a good comparison to biking or tri's and people involved in those.
My email is stephanieswainston@hotmail.com. I'm excited!
ReplyDelete