I got back from your place, Stephanie, feeling a bit like I was coming down with something. I was tired Friday from the flight delay and lack of sleep layover in Minneapolis, so thought it must be that.
Saturday I got up, feeling tired and a bit icky, but determined to do a long bike ride. I did 30 miles, and kept the average speed up equal to where it is when I go much shorter, so I was feeling pretty good! All that working out at your place really helped!
About 2-3 hours after the bike ride, I decided I needed to sleep. It was a strange mix of what I thought was being tired from the travel back and needing sleep, mixed with feeling good from the bike ride.
I was wrong.
I got sicker as the day went on. Sunday was spent laying around all day and blowing my nose. I obviously picked up some kind of gunk and it got to me after the bike ride. It makes me wonder if exercise brings out a cold that is hidden there waiting to emerge. It seemed to for me.
Anyway, yesterday I was a bit better, but not good enough to bike or run. Today I am about 80%, and would really like to bike or run this evening, but not sure I should.
I never seem to know when to work out again after being sick. Any advice?
Halloween Part 5: Trick or Treating and Carnival
14 years ago
Whew, I'm just relieved you didn't have a bike crash! I've read that working out only stresses the body more making it harder to get better, but everyone seems to have their own opinion. If you've only been down since Sunday, I'd take another day. Have a nice green smoothie, Vitamin C, lots of H2O and go to bed really early! Get better soon, I love your blog posts!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice. I drank lots of water, upped the vitamin c significantly, and went to bed. My green smoothie was a shot of nyquil. I feel better today...finally.
ReplyDeleteI know everyone is differnt but for me personally, I push through workouts even when I'm sick. I always feel better afterward and I feel like it helps me get better faster and keeps me from getting sick more often. I ran the Top of Utah half-marathon this year with a chest cold that included a productive cough.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better and good luck.
p.s. I thought from your title you'd had an accident. Glad that wasn't the case.
Thanks! Crash has multiple meanings, but when paired with biking, I can see where it immediately goes to the mind that there was a physical crashing of the bike.
ReplyDeleteI was going to ride yesterday despite still having congestion and a cough, but wimped out. Was feeling too beat after work and the weather wasn't very good. So I put it off.
I won't do that today. I will get out there regardless!